Ring Weave Technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Weave Technology

To create some content here too I would like to post pictures about ring weave technology.
    The ring weave was invented by Gerd Weiland.
    It is based on the possibility of weaving belt made from waste car tires.
    I got some tires, for free, and I cut the side walls off to make belts. These pictures are made
    of the belts I weaved together in my backyard.

I got an idea too: to cut narrow strips of the belts and loop them together like rubber bands
    to make mooring lines. These pictures are made of my work in my backyard.

Comment

Nice so flexible decking between seastead posts or anchorage for the kelp. base netting for mangroves?

Comment

Picture #4 does not show well. I post it separately

Comment

At this point of the discussion it usually comes up the idea that the tires are toxic
          and tires do not support sea life and, the tires corrode.

CALIFORNIA INTEGRATED WASTE MANAGEMENT BOARD:
          EFFECTS OF WASTE TIRES,WASTE TIRE FACILITIES, AND WASTE TIRE PROJECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT
          Publication # 432-96-029, May 1996
          https://www2.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publi...s/Download/110)
          "There has been a long term study conducted on tires immersed in sea water. The study concluded that after 42 years tires constructed of polyisoprene
          and immersed at a depth of 80 feet showed very little degradation. "

Sustainable Re-use of Tyres in Port, Coastal and River Engineering Guidance for planning, implementation and maintenance
          http://instaar.colorado.edu/~jenkins...2520banden.pdf

Comment

I saw those studies I am not freaked out by using tires it is just a perfectly good idea to use low and no cost materials to get the jobs done.

Comment

Nice one, but would need a lot of floaters
              Ring weaving tires is an up-cycle process

Last edited by Manfred; 02-02-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Yes floaters are needed, but not a lot. Specific gravity of seawater is 1.025 g/cm3 and the specific gravity of the tires is 1.300 g/cm3.
                Tires immersed in seawater weight about one fifth of their weight in air, because of the buoyancy force on them. The buoyancy is
                not enough to make them float, but it is significant to lessen the weight when immersed.

Comment

Tires as building materials might be even better then low cost and might be even better then free.
                  In the state of California there is recycling fee on waste car tires. The customers who buy new tires for their
                  vehicle are charged a recycling fee of $1.75 per tire. The story continues, and there are so called tire haulers
                  who pickup these tires from the shops. The tire haulers are payed per tire for taking the tires.
                  California produces 40 million waste car tires a year. The annual budget of car tire recycling in California is $70 million.

Comment

• Barskor
                    Barskor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Getting paid to get the materials you need to build what you want Brilliant!

more pictures of my work

Comment

One more idea:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ring weave technology can be modeled, and sub scale prototypes can be made using
                      rubber bands cut from bicycle tire inter tube.

Comment

Computer generated, (SketchUp) model by Cowboy Kim Cowdroy:

Comment

More experiments with tires:

Comment

Attempt to make mooring line, and incorporate the side walls into the line:

Comment

Working...
                            X